City of Duluth Municipal Code

Amendments to Legislative Code

Zoning Reform in Trends and Themes

City Assessor
Use this link to search for property owners.



This ordinance refers to the limitations of new rentals within 300 feet of an existing rental. The following PDF is a map of the boundaries:


SOCIAL HOST ORDINANCE: Full Ordinance: 8-29.5

Or download PDF Here.

“Social host ordinance unanimously passes Duluth City Council
Tuesday, April, 15, 2008
Duluth News Tribune

Duluth City Councilor Todd Fedora’s ordinance to make it a finable offense if someone is found to be hosting a party where alcohol is being served to minors easily passed. A social host could face up to a $1,000 penalty, even if that person isn’t on the premises, if alcohol is being served to a minor.

The ordinance takes effect in 30 days. Fedora said he hopes to pair the law with a nuisance ordinance he plans to introduce by the next city council meeting.


A social host ordinance holds people criminally responsible for knowingly hosting gatherings where people under 21 possess or consume alcohol, regardless of whether the person hosting the gathering supplied the alcohol. According to the Alcohol Policy Information System Web site, there are seven states with laws specifically aimed at underage drinking parties. The following are Minnesota governments with social host ordinances:
Cities: Albert Lea, Apple Valley, Chaska, Crystal, Duluth, Fairfax, Fergus Falls, Lakeville, Mankato, Otsego, Princeton, Ramsey, Roseville, Rosemount, South St. Paul, Waseca, Willmar, Prior Lake.
Counties: Kandiyohi County.

Source: MADD, various newspaper and city Web sites.


NUISANCE ORDINANCE: Full Ordinance: Sec. 40-10, 40-11, 40-12, 40-13

Nuisance event. An event requiring special security assignment in order to protect the public peace, health, safety and welfare. A nuisance event includes, but is not limited to, the following:

(a) Unlawful sale, possession, storage, delivering, giving, manufacture, cultivation or use of controlled substance;

(b) Prostitution or prostitution-related activity;

(c) Illegal gambling or gambling-related activity;

(d) Unlicensed sales of alcoholic beverages or unlawful sales or gifts of alcoholic beverages by an unlicensed person or underage consumption at a specific location;

(e) Loud and boisterous conduct, noises and activities that disturb the peace;

(f) Events between 11:00 p.m. and sunrise which disturb the peace and tranquility of the neighborhood;

(g) Congregating in a tumultuous, noisy or rowdy crowd;

(h) Fighting or use of obscene or inflammatory language;

(i) Loud music constituting a nuisance or disturbing the peace;

(j) Activities causing excessive pedestrian or vehicular traffic and parking problems and congestion;

(k) Indecent exposure or lewd conduct.

For the purposes of this Article, the term nuisance event shall not include an event of domestic abuse as that term is defined in Minnesota Statutes Section 518B.01 Subdivision 2(a).

Owner. A person or persons shown to be owner or owners of property on the property tax records of St. Louis County, Minnesota.

Personal service. Service by personally handing a copy to the intended recipient or by leaving a copy at the intended recipient’s residence or place of business with a person of suitable age and discretion.

Police services fee. A fee imposed for law enforcement services associated with a special security assignment. Such fee may be either a flat fee of $250 or an additional amount of up to a total of $1,000 based on, but not limited to, salaries of police officers while responding to or remaining at the nuisance event, the pro rata cost of equipment, the cost of repairing city equipment and property and the cost of any medical treatment of injured police officers.

Responsible person. A person who owns the property where the nuisance event takes place, and/or a person in charge of the premises, and/or a person who organized or served as a host of the nuisance event. If the responsible person is a minor, then the parents or guardians of that minor will also be considered responsible persons.

Special security assignment. The assignment of police officers, services and/or equipment during a second or subsequent response to a nuisance event at a particular location after the service of a written notice to the responsible persons that a police services fee may be imposed for costs incurred by the city for any subsequent police response at such location. (Ord. No. 9354, 12-15-1997, § 1; Ord. No. 9618, 8-25-2003, § 1.)



Question: Is it illegal to have a couch or chair on my porch/deck/yard?
Answer: Yes. Any non-patio/outdoor furniture left outside of your home is considered abandoned furniture‚ (even if you use it!). Couches, tables, old refrigerators, any household fixtures, are subject to rotting and mold, and attracts small animals.

For Proper Disposal contact the Western Lake Superior Sanitation District (WLSSD) or call 722-0761.

For Questions contact Sarah Benning sbenning@duluthmn.gov or call 730-5151.

ABANDONED VEHICLES/YARD PARKING (See also Parking Ordinances below)

Question: Can I park my vehicle on my property?
Yes. If the vehicle is parked in a covered, contained space (such as a garage). No. If the vehicle is parked in a yard, open space, etc.

-Until August 2009, a working vehicle can be parked in your yard. If the vehicle does not 1) have current tabs, and/or 2) is not in running condition, you are subject to tagging and a 2-week removal notice. If the vehicle is not moved/fixed to working condition within the 2-week period, it is subject to towing.

-To get the vehicle back, the owner must pay for the tow, obtain current tabs and restore it to working condition.

For Questions contact Sarah Benning at sbenning@duluthmn.gov or call 730-5151.



Question: What kind of container does my garbage need to be in?
Answer: Most garbage companies provide proper containers. Be sure that the lid is tightly shut at all times; consistently overflowing garbage is subject to a citation.

-Each property is required to have garbage services. There is no set rule as to the number of tenants per unit per garbage can, just as long as the garbage is not overflowing.

-It is illegal to dispose of your garbage in business or other public property dumpsters.

Question: Do I have to recycle?
Answer: Yes. Recycling is a city- and state-wide law. The recycling fee is included in your garbage bill. Plastic, paper, glass, metal and cardboard are considered recyclables.

-Electronics and appliances, such as computers, keyboards, televisions, VCR/DVD players, microwaves and refrigerators pollute the earth irreparably and should be disposed of properly. WLSSD’s Material Recovery Center accepts the above items (as well as many more) free of charge, or for a small fee depending on the item.

-It is illegal to place electronics/appliances, etc in regular curbside recycling and/or garbage.

-It is important to have a separate container for recycling. The same law applies for recycling containers as for garbage containers (contents must properly fit, lid must be able to close and stay shut, etc).

For directions and information about the WLSSD Material Recovery Center, download the Prices and Materials Accepted (PDF) For Questions contact Sarah Benning at sbenning@duluthmn.gov or call 730-5151.



Question: What should I do with my pet waste?
Answer: Pet waste should be cleaned up on a regular basis (daily, weekly, depending on the number of pets and amount of waste). It should be bagged up and put in your regular curbside garbage.

**If any of these or other ordinances are violated the property owner (landlord) will receive the citation or warning. It is the landlord’s responsibility to pass the information on to tenants/renters and correct the problem/pay the fees**



-Many city streets require alternate side (odd and even) parking year round. The side changes every Sunday.

-Vehicles must be parked at least 30 feet away from stop signs.

-Vehicles parked on the street must be facing the same way of traffic, especially on streets with yellow stripes.

-Vehicles must be twelve feet within the curb when parked.

-Vehicles must not obstruct the sidewalk.

-You cannot park in front of driveways, even your own.

-When parked on city streets, a vehicle cannot be parked in the same spot for more than 24 hours (if more than 24 hours, the vehicle is subject to tagging and towing at owners expense).

-When snow emergencies are declared, it is illegal to park on posted Snow Emergency Routes.

-Effective 2009, front yard parking is permitted on improved surfaces only (asphalt, concrete, etc.)

-Residential permits (Limit 3 resident permits per household, 2 visitor permits per household) required around UMD campus September-May. Click here for permit applications.

**Violation of these ordinances is subject to a fine (starting at $21)**